Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chlorine is Element number 17

1) My name in other languages:
French: Chlore
Italian: Cloro
Swedish: Klor

1)I got my name from the Greek word "chloros" which means "pale green".

2) As a pure element my color is a pale, murky green.

3) The nucleus of my most common isotope contains 17 protons and 18 neutrons. My naturally occuring isotopes are 35Cl, with a natural abundance of 78.78% and 37Cl, with a natural abundance of 24.22%.
My average atomic mass is 35.453 amu.

4) There are 17 electrons in a neutral atom of my element. I have 17 shells of electrons.

5) My atomic radius in meters is .0000000001891 m

6) In pure elemental form, my properties are melting point: -101.5 °C, boiling point: -34.04 °C, liquid range: 67.51 K, and critical temperature: 144 °C.

7) My abundance in Natalie's body is 52.8456 grams. In the Earth's crust, my abundance is 170000 ppb (weight) and in our Universe, 1000 ppb.

8) The compounds I form are Fluorides and Oxides. Some of these compounds include Chlorine fluoride and Chlorine dioxide.

9) Carl Wilhelm Scheele discovered me in 1774. I was discovered in Sweden through the reaction of the mineral pyrolusite (manganese dioxide, MnO2) with hydrochloric acid (HCl, then known as muriatic acid). Scheele mistakenly thought the gas resulting contained oxygen.

10) In human society, I have many uses including: being used in in the production of safe drinking water, the extraction of bromine, and in the manufacturing of chlorinated cleaning compounds.

11) Chlorine itself is not flammable, but it can react explosively or form explosive compounds with other chemicals such as turpentine and ammonia.

12) http://www.webelements.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment